When should travel cancellation insurance be purchased?
We recommend that you take out cancellation insurance on the day you book your trip. At the latest in the following three days.
Which insurance company is behind the one-time travel cancellation insurance?
We have special framework contracts with particularly strong benefits from Würzburger Versicherungs AG.
Who is covered by the travel cancellation insurance?
In the tariff of the travel cancellation insurance are insured in case of travel cancellation:
- insured persons among themselves who have booked a trip together and are named.
- Dependents of an insured person. These include:
- children, children-in-law
- parents, grandparents, parents-in-law
- brothers and sisters
- and depending on the insurance conditions
Single trip cancellation insurance: if 5 people have booked a trip and 1 person falls ill, can they all cancel the trip?
In the event of a claim (death, serious accident or unexpected serious illness), the insured person, his or her spouse, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, parents-in-law, children-in-law or, if the trip was booked for 2 persons together, the second person, provided that this person is also insured.
If, for example, you have taken out travel cancellation insurance together with friends or as part of your club trip and one person falls ill, only the costs of the sick person who cannot take the trip will be covered.
What does the travel cancellation insurance not cover?
Not covered (WUV):
- Failure of a student to transfer if it is not a school or class trip.
- Fees incurred in obtaining foreign currency
- Failure to catch a flight due to a delayed shuttle bus. (additional costs for rebooking)
- Dangers of war, civil war or war-like events
- Unexpected inoculation intolerance in a relative, if the relative is not also insured.
- Pregnancy: if the mother of the minor insured is not insured
- Damage to property: if the damage is not substantial in relation to the economic condition or assets of the injured party
- Repetition of exams: If they do not have to be repeated in order to obtain an extension of school attendance/graduation. If, the trip was booked after the date of failed exam. An early exam is also not insured
- If, due to the extension of a stay at a health resort, the trip is not started
- If a) the mental illness already existed before the start of the trip and b)the treatment has not been carried out by a specialist doctor
- a purely positive corona test (without symptoms)
- Administrative costs, such as preparatory meetings held beforehand, are not included in the price of the trip
- Rebooking costs due to a later arrival (flight rebooking, hotel rebooking, etc.)
What does deductible or excess mean?
Travel cancellation insurance can be taken out with or without an excess:
What does excess or deductible mean?
- If the travel cancellation insurance is concluded without a deductible, the insurance covers the full cancellation costs.
- If the policy is concluded with a deductible, the respective tariff regulates the corresponding share of the insured person in the cancellation costs (20% deductible, minimum 25 euros). In other words, the amount that must be paid by the insured in the event of a claim. Cancellation costs refer to the part of the already paid travel costs which the tour operator does not reimburse in case of cancellation.
Important facts about travel cancellation insurance
- The travel cancellation insurance ends with the start of the trip and does not cover any costs thereafter.
- For financial damages, which arise, if one terminates the journey prematurely, there is the Trip interruption insurance.
- In most cases, it is advisable to combine travel cancellation insurance with travel interruption insurance , which is already integrated in our tariffs or can be booked as an option.
Are some participants up to 64 years old and others 65 years and older?
Then 2 total travel prices are to be indicated:
The total travel price related to all participants with age up to 64 years and the total travel price related to all participants with age 65 years and older. Please make sure that the number of participants is correctly indicated for the respective age group.
What should be considered when traveling with ascents above 4,500 meters?
The insurance coverage of the travel cancellation and travel interruption insurance only applies to hikes, expeditions or ascents up to a maximum altitude of 4,500 meters. For higher ascents, the insurance coverage no longer applies.
Example with/without deductible
Example with deductible:
deductible at least 25 €; in case of illness 20% of the cancellation invoice, but at least 25 €37 participants (all max. 64 years old) Travel price per participant = 320 €
total travel price: 11.840 € premium: 236,80 €
Example without deductible:
37 participants (all max. 64 years old) Travel price per participant = 320 €
total travel price: 11.840 € premium: 319,68 €
Is travel cancellation insurance tax deductible?
No deductibility for private trips!
Insurance for private travel - including travel cancellation insurance - is in principle not deductible according to the law.
Deductibility for business trips
Atravel cancellation insurance taken out for business trips and business trips due to professional travel reasons can be deducted as a business expense under incidental travel expenses.
What is considered insured with COVID19?
Insured Events (Trip Cancellation Basic Coverage AVB 21):
- You or Your Traveling Companion become so ill (including diagnosis of an epidemic or pandemic disease such as COVID-19) or injured so severely that You are forced to cancel Your Trip. The following condition applies: A physician advises you or your travel companion to cancel your trip prior to travel cancellation.
- A family member who is not traveling with you becomes ill (including a diagnosis of an epidemic or pandemic disease such as COVID-19) or injured. The following condition applies: The illness or injury must be determined by a physician to be life-threatening or require hospitalization
- You or your travel companion are quarantined prior to your trip because you have been exposed to: a contagious disease, other than an epidemic or pandemic, or an epidemic or pandemic disease (e.g., COVID-19), but only if all of the following conditions are met: The quarantine specifically affects you or your travel companion. That is, you or your travel companion must be personally named in the quarantine order or directive and quarantined because of an epidemic or pandemic, and the quarantine has not been imposed generally (a) on any part or all of the population, or on any geographic area, building, or vessel. The quarantine must not have been imposed (b) because you or your travel companion have previously traveled to or come from a particular area. This condition (ii) applies even if you or your traveling companion are specifically quarantined by name.
What happens in the event of damage?
In case of damage, we would need the original cancellation invoice(s), a copy of the booking confirmation(s), in case of illness the original medical certificate with diagnosis, the insurance number and bank details for reimbursement. Insured risks are, for example, a serious accidental injury/acute illness. Please note that a mere positive corona test does not constitute an illness.
No insured event is: quarantine, teacher absence, travel warning, travel ban.
Is cancellation / revocation of a travel cancellation insurance possible?
The travel cancellation insurance cannot be cancelled or revoked. The reason for this is that the insurance takes effect immediately upon conclusion of the contract. The insurance coverage of the travel cancellation insurance ends with the start of the trip. The insurance cannot be revoked even if the entire trip demonstrably does not take place. Travel cancellation insurance covers the financial consequences if you are unable to start a planned trip. Accordingly, the insurance period refers to the period before the trip. Upon receipt of the insurance policy, the insurer's part of the contract (assumption of the risk) is immediately considered fulfilled. Accordingly, the right of cancellation does not apply. For more information on the right of withdrawal, please refer to your insurance confirmation and our legal information: Legal Information - Bernhard Travel Insurance