What does the individual travel health insurance not cover?
Not insured are:
- Travel abroad for professional reasons
- Treatments by non-medical practitioners
- Childbirth, interruptions of pregnancy and examinations and treatments due to pregnancy
- Nutritional and tonic preparations, cosmetic preparations
- additional purchase of medicines during a trip
- new dental prosthesis including crowns, dental cosmetics, orthodontics and implantology
- Mental and emotional disorders, psychosomatic treatment
- Purchase of aids, e.g. glasses, contact lenses, insoles, prostheses, bandages, forefoot relief shoe
- Illnesses/accidents as a result of pandemics or foreseeable war events, attempted suicide, addiction, alcohol, drugs (war events are foreseeable if there is a warning from the Foreign Office prior to travel. The terrorist attacks in Paris or Brussels do not count as war events).
- Accommodation caused by need of care or custody
- Spa and sanatorium treatments and rehabilitation measures
- Salvage costs
- Costs for PCR tests or antigen tests in connection with entry and exit from the country
- Costs of transporting a Covid contact to a hospital (e.g., to a testing station to determine whether or not he or she is positive)
- Additional costs at the destination due to quarantine (longer stay in accommodation, flight rebooking costs, etc.) because the travel time has to be extended and the infected person or contact person flies back later
- Costs for an adult escort to accompany the minor student(s) in the event of repatriation for further treatment in the home country
Is the international health insurance available as an annual insurance?
Yes, the international health insurance can be concluded as an annual insurance. Annual international health insurance is particularly worthwhile for people who travel more than once a year and is particularly favorable compared to international health insurance as individual insurance. More information
How do I get information about doctors at the resort?
The emergency call service provides information about medical care options and designates a German or English speaking physician.
What care services does the annual travel health insurance cover?
- Accommodation of an accompanying person in the hospital for children
- Care for children in case of travel interruption due to death, serious accident or illness
- Procurement of substitute medication at the vacation destination
- Sick visit of a close person
- payment of additional hotel accommodation costs for up to 10 days
What should be considered when returning to the place of residence?
The travel health insurance reimburses the additional costs for a return transport to the nearest suitable hospital at the place of residence of the insured person. Reimbursement will only be made if the return transport is medically reasonable and justifiable.
Furthermore, the costs for an accompanying person as well as for a necessary medical escort are also covered. The prerequisite for this is that this is medically necessary, ordered by the authorities or prescribed by the transport company.
What documents do I need to submit for reimbursement in the event of a claim?
The following evidence must be submitted:
- Original receipts with the name, description of the illness as well as the provided service
- Prescriptions with doctor's bill as well as bills for medical aids and appliances
- Medical certificate about the necessity of the return transport
- Official death certificate or medical certificate of cause of death
- Further proofs and receipts
When can I expect reimbursement from the insurance company?
The foreign health insurance will pay the costs within 2 weeks at the latest. (Provided that the proof of insurance and premium payment is available and the obligation to pay and the amount of compensation have been determined).
When is payment of the premium due and when does insurance coverage begin?
The premium must be paid immediately upon receipt of the insurance policy and the premium invoice. In the event of late payment, insurance coverage will not commence until that time.
What is covered under a single trip medical insurance policy in the event of a Covid-19 illness?
- Treatment of an acute Covid-19 disease (Attention: a positive Corona test does not yet represent a disease!)
- Corona test for diagnostic purposes in the context of medical treatment abroad
What is the cost of health insurance abroad for 1 year?
Price: from 9.90 euros per year for individuals, couples and families. The international health insurance for one year (annual travel health insurance) is valid for any number of trips per year up to 56 days at a time.
When should I take out health insurance abroad at the latest?
The international health insurance must be taken out before leaving the country. It cannot be taken out for the respective trip if you are already abroad.
The calculation is based on the number of travel days, the age of the entered participants, the travel destination and the selected scope of insurance. The day of arrival and departure count as full days. There is no insurance tax on the international health insurance. On all other selected insurances include an insurance tax of currently 19%.
Where does the annual international health insurance apply?
Insurance cover is provided worldwide abroad. The country in which the insured person has a residence is deemed to be abroad.
What does the health insurance abroad cover?
The foreign health insurance includes the medically necessary treatment of an insured person due to illness or consequences of an accident.
What is considered curative treatment?
When prescribed by a Physician, the following treatments are considered Medically Necessary:
- Medical outpatient treatments
- Pain-relieving conservative dental treatments incl. dental fillings
- Medications and dressings
- Physical treatments (e.g. radiation and light therapies)
- massages, packs, inhalations and physiotherapy
- Aids that become necessary for the first time as a result of an accident
- Operations that cannot be postponed and inpatient treatment